CANI is seeking to appoint a non-executive finance director to its Board.
The Canoe Association of Northern Ireland (CANI) is the governing body responsible for the management, co-ordination, development and promotion of canoeing in Northern Ireland. We represent the interests of our members to government, the public and through British Canoeing to the International Canoe Federation.
CANI employs a small staff team, which includes a part-time finance officer who manages the day-to-day accounts using Sage.
The purpose of the role is to ensure that controls and systems are in place to safeguard the financial governance of CANI to the satisfaction of the membership. To provide financial advice and support to the CANI Board and the senior staff member. To be a Director and a trustee of the CANI Board.
CANI are looking for a finance director who will;
- To attend evening board meetings, (currently, these are monthly but will change to six per annum).
- Prepare and present annual accounts to the CANI membership at the AGM, the financial status of CANI.
- File accounts with statutory agencies and charities commission.
- Liaising with any external accountants or auditors as appropriate
- Provide regular financial updates for the CANI Board and keep the board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities.
- Advise CANI Board on the financial implications of strategic plans and key assumptions.
- Review CANI’s financial reporting systems, to ensure that reports are specified to meet the Board’s requirements.
- Prepare policy papers for the Board as identified from time to time.
- Undertake specific development projects as directed by the Board.
- With the senior staff member, ensure that the financial policy and procedures are adhered to.
- Serve on special sub-groups as required from time-to-time.
- To attend other CANI committee meetings to represent the Board’s interests and report back to the Board on developments.
The following skills are required;
- Familiarity and experience with principles of accounting – management and financial.
- Willingness to understand the mechanisms structures and rules that limited companies are obligated to operate under.
- Understanding of accounting procedures and key internal controls, so as to be able to assure Board of CANI’s financial integrity.
- Be available to attend CANI events, functions, meetings etc. as appropriate.
- Be informed about CANI and the environments in which it operates.
- Familiar with computerised account systems.
- Experience and skills in corporate governance.
- Have experience of financial management in a limited company.
- Familiarity with available grants such as local authority and community grants and EU funding.
How to apply
Please send a letter of application. Please include an up to date CV and confirm that there are no reasons why you may not hold the post of a company director / charity trustee.
Applications should be sent to Ashley Hunter, The Canoe Association of Northern Ireland, Unit 2 Rivers Edge, 13-15 Ravenhill Road, Belfast, BT68DN. firstname.lastname@example.org 02890738884
Closing date – 30th May 2pm
For further information contact Ashley Hunter (Development Manager) 02890738884.