British Canoeing has today announced the launch of the new Leadership Awards which aim to create more opportunities for people to paddle by increasing the number of qualified leaders.
The new Leadership Awards suite will align to the British Canoeing Educational Philosophy and support leaders to run safe, quality, enjoyable trips, based on their group’s needs and aspirations.
The awards are ideal for clubs, centres and activity providers looking to lead groups on single or mixed craft journeys, from sheltered water to advanced water.
Key features of the new awards suite include –
- Direct access to the environment you want to lead
- No formal British Canoeing Leadership training requirements
- Direct entry to assessments available
- Single day assessments, allowing more agility, reducing time and expenditure
- NEW eLearning package to support those leading in an unfamiliar environment
- Downloadable logbook to support the recording of activity
- Digital self-analysis tool to support leaders in their development and preparation for assessment
Key changes to the disciplines –
- NEW disciplines: Paddlesport Touring Leader, SUP Inland Open Water Leader, SUP Coastal Leader and Stadium White Water Leader
- Canoe Leadership to be split into Open Water and White Water
- Sea Leadership to have tidal and non-tidal assessment pathways
British Canoeing is delighted and very proud to launch the NEW Leadership qualification suite, being part of the wider 4 year review of all Coaching and Leadership awards. This project has included 3 years of feedback from candidates, Providers, National Associations, Technical Groups and wider consultation… Although much of the content has remained the same, the ethos and accessibility has changed significantly, providing direct access opportunities, single day assessments and no mandatory training, which could reduce both time and expense as well as recognising and celebrating individual experience.
Such shift and alignment with our Educational Philosophy supports an individualised journey.
Lee Pooley, Head of Coaching and Qualifications at British Canoeing
Available from January 2021, British Canoeing will look to roll out the awards by completing the following milestones over the coming months:
- 3rd June: Provider recruitment commences
- Autumn 2020: Delivery Centres will be training Providers
- 4th January 2021: New awards will be available
Further details are available on the British Canoeing Awarding Body and National Association websites as well as the following news articles –