Aims of the Programme
To support and prepare paddlers showing the potential to represent Northern Ireland in Surf Kayak or representing UK or Ireland within Waveski.
Methods of the Programme
The programme will achieve the aims by:
- Creating well rounded paddlers who have a good work ethic and appropriate training regime together with a strong grounding in technical understanding, surf skills, and nutrition and performance lifestyle.
- Nurturing strong relationships with parents, helping to educate and keep them informed about the programme and support them in supporting their children along the pathway.
- Providing coaching support during identified weekend training sessions and competition support.
Minimum Eligibility Criteria for consideration
- Must be a full member of CANI, with all membership fees fully up to date.
- Born in Northern Ireland or born of parents (or adoptive parents) born in Northern Ireland or resident in Northern Ireland for 3 years or more.
- Those over the age of 14 must have attended a Cardiac Risk in the Young Screening.
- Finished top 8 at a Surf Kayak World Championships or World Waveski Championships at age level in current year or;
- Finished top 6 at British Open or Irish Open in Open Categories in current year or;
- Finished top 4 at British Open or Irish Open in Junior Categories in current year.
And completion of an assessment in the following areas:
- Rate of development/progression in relation to competition results and profiling data.
- A willingness and desire to regularly attend a performance beach break for training.
- A willingness to engage and work with a coach and train alongside other likeminded paddlers.
- Commitment to balancing paddling, academic workload, lifestyle and personal health appropriately in order to maximise performance when training and competing.
- A commitment to attend 80% of all training sessions.
- Willingness to work in a group with an open mind set towards technical experimentation, skill development and learning, while supporting each other on and off the water.
Specific areas listed above will not be considered in isolation.
The CANI Talent Lead in agreement with the CANI Performance Committee has the authority to exclude a paddler from a specific training session, training camp or the squad completely, if they consider that he/she does not have the technical skills to participate safely.
Coach Contact Time
It is expected that participants will enter the CANI Development Squad after being involved in paddle sport for 3 years or more. It is expected that paddlers will stay in the CANI Development Squad for 1-2 years before representing Northern Ireland in Surf Kayak or representing GB or Ireland within Waveski.
An Annual Fee is payable to participate in the programme (based on the scale of activities included above and on the current investment from Sport Northern Ireland). This Annual Fee can be paid in installments (Starting from 1st April – 31st March), agreed in advance with the CANI Talent Lead.
The complete CANI Surf Kayak and Waveski Selection Documents can be found in the folders below: