The Canoe Association of Northern Ireland (CANI) was formed in 1964 and is the governing body responsible for the management, co-ordination, development and promotion of canoeing in Northern Ireland. It represents the interests of its members to government, the public, and through British Canoeing to the International Canoe Federation.
CANI is the Northern Ireland division of British Canoeing which is the governing body for the UK. CANI, through British Canoeing is affiliated to the International Canoe Federation.
CANI is currently run by a voluntary council which is elected at the AGM each year. To assist Council with developments, there are a number of specialist sub-committees.
- The coaching committee takes responsibility for all Coaching matters.
- The club committee is a forum for clubs to meet, share ideas and advise on developments.
- The performance committee takes responsibility for all Racing, Surf, Polo and Slalom matters.
- Discipline specific committees take responsibility for Competition and Squad developments, these are Racing, Surf, Slalom and Polo.
CANI’s VISION for 2013 – 17 is to develop a system and culture to enable long term participation opportunities, access to quality coaching and a performance pathway that will enable athletes to succeed at the highest level.
CANI’s Objectives for 2013 – 2017;
- CANI aims to become financially sustainable and will work with key organisations to meet joint goals.
- CANI has successfully focused on participation in the past but within this period the emphasis will largely be towards performance by developing a solid base of athletes and by supporting them to achieve international success.
- The coaching workforce is key at all stages of the pathway and CANI will continue to support developments to ensure new paddlers and those within the system receive quality coaching.
- CANI will support its clubs to develop their ability to introduce beginners and support their members in their progression either as a paddler, competitor or coach.
“CANI are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age”.